Thursday, 29 June 2017

Queen Mary researchers evaluate impact of new regulations on the Buy-To-Let property market using novel AI methods

In 2015 the British government announced major tax reforms for individual landlords that will be in full effect in tax year 2020/21, being introduced gradually after April 2017. The new reforms and regulations have received much media attention as there has been widespread belief that they were sufficiently skewed against landlords that they could signal the end of the Buy-To-Let (BTL) investment era in the UK.

Research by Anthony Constantinou and Norman Fenton of Queen Mary University of London, has now been published that provides the first comprehensive evaluation of the impact of the reforms on the London BTL property market. The results use a novel model (based on revolutionary new work in an AI method called Bayesian networks) that captures multiple uncertainties and allows investors to assess the impact of various factors of interest on their BTL investment, such as changes in interest rates, capital and rental growth. Additionally, the model allows for portfolio risk management through intervention between time steps, such as the effects of different scenarios of re-mortgaging.

The results show that, over a 10-year period, the overall return-on-investment (ROI) will be reduced under the new tax measures, but that the ROI remains good assuming a common BTL London profile. However, there are major differences depending on the investor strategy. For example, for risk-averse investors who choose not to expand their portfolio, the reforms are expected to have only a marginal negative impact, with the overall ROI reducing from 301% under the old regulations to 290% under the new (-3.7%), and this loss comes exclusively from a decrease in net profits from rental income (-32.2%). However, the impact on risk-seeking investors who aim to expand their property portfolio through leveraging is much more significant, since the new tax reforms are projected to decrease ROI from 941% to 590% (-37.3%), over the same 10-year period.

The impact on net profits also poses substantial risks for loss-making returns excluding capital gains, especially in the case of rising interest rates. While this makes it less desirable or even non-viable for some to continue being a landlord, based on the current status of all factors taken into consideration for simulation, investment prospects are still likely to remain good within a reasonable range of interest rate and capital growth rate variations. Further, the results also indicate that the recent trend of property prices in London increasing faster than rents will not continue for much longer; either capital growth rates will have to decrease, rental growth rates will have to increase, or we shall observe a combination of the two events.

The full paper (with open access link):

Constantinou, A. C., & Fenton, N. (2017). The future of the London Buy-To-Let property market: Simulation with temporal Bayesian Networks. PLoS ONE, 12(6): e0179297, https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0179297 

The research was supported in part by the European Research Council (ERC) through the research project, ERC-2013-AdG339182-BAYES_KNOWLEDGE, while Agena Ltd provided software support. 

5 comments:

  1. HOW TO RESTORE YOUR BROKEN RELATIONSHIP
    I recently split up with my wife, i was hurting REAL bad, I did everything possible to bring her back but all was in vain, I wanted her back, I begged her even made promises but she refused. I was really confuse i explained my problem to a facebook friend online and she suggested that I should contact a spell caster that could help me cast a love spell to bring her back but I am the type that don’t believed in spell, I had no choice than to try it, I meant a spell caster called (Dr Save) and I email him at Via email: adesolutiontemple@gmail.com and he told me there was no problem that everything will be okay before 17hours, that my wife will return to me within 17 hour,he cast the spell and surprisingly around 5pm my time. My ex called me,just 14hours after he casted the spell I was so surprised, I answered the call and all she said was that she was so sorry for everything that happened, that she wanted me to return to her, that she loves me so much. I was so happy and went to her, that was how we started living together happily again. Since then, I have made promise that anybody I know that have a relationship problem, I would be of help to such person by referring him or her to the only real and powerful spell caster who helped me with my own problem and. Anybody could need the help of the spell caster,email him at: adesolutiontemple@gmail.com or call or whatsapp +2348138654465 Or visit his website now http://getyourexack.yolasite.com/...Thank you very much for your great


    adesolutiontemple@gmail.com
    call or whatsapp +2348138654465
    http://getyourexack.yolasite.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got to know about the blog by my friend's reference.If anyone wants to read a good content...?Then this blog will be the answer for you.Such a worthy content out of it.
    Telecom analytics company
    Healthcare analytics company
    Finance analytics company
    Retail analytics company

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you going through a break-up or divorce?
    Do you need your Ex back fast? Dnot cry anymore, contact Dr .Goodluck for powerful Love spell that work fast now!! I was hurt and heart broken when my Husband breakup with me, and i could not know what next to do again, I love my Husband so much but he was cheating on me with another woman and this makes him break up with me so that he can be able to get marred to the other lady and this lady i think use witchcraft on my Husband to make him hate me and our kids and this was so critical and uncalled-for,I cry all day and night for God to send me a helper to get back my man until i went to Texas in USA to see a friend and who was having the same problem with me but she latter got her husband back and i asked her how she was able to get her husband back and she told me that their was a powerful spell caster called Dr .Goodluck that help with love spell in getting back lost lover back, and i decided to contact the same Dr .Goodluck and he told me what is needed to be done for me to have my man back and i did it although i doubted it but i did it and the Dr told me that i will get the result after 17hours, and he told me that my husband was going to call me and i still doubted his word, to my surprise my husband really called me and told me that he miss me so much, Oh My God! i was so excited, and today i am happy with my man again and we are joyfully living together as one big family and i thank the powerful spell caster Dr .Goodluck for bringing back my man and i decided to share my story on the internet that Dr .Goodluck is best spell caster online who i will always pray to live long to help his children in the time of trouble, If you have any problem contact Dr .Goodluck and i guarantee you that he will help you,Email him at: goodluck05spellcaster@gmail.com ,you can also call him or add him on whats-app: +2348138654465
    http://goodluck05spellcaster.yolasite.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. My ex-boyfriend is back after he left me for another girl.
    I'm so excited my broken Marriage has been restored & my boyfriend is back after he left me for another girl.
    I needed him back desperately because i loved him so much.
    I became very worried and needed help. as i was browsing through the internet,
    I came across a website that suggested that Dr.Unity can help get ex back fast and stop a divorce or breakup and so on , So I felt I should give him a try.
    I contacted him and he told me what to do and i did it, then he did a (return Love spell) for me. 28 hours later,
    my boyfriend came back to me crying and begging for my forgiveness.
    Today I'm so happy and i am recommend this great spell caster to anyone that truly needs an urgent solution to his or her broken relationships and marriage. Simply contact the great "Dr.Unity"
    If you have any problem contact him and i guarantee you that he will help you., email him at: Unityspelltemple@gmail.com ,
    you can also call him or add him on Whats-app: +2348071622464 , you can also visit his website:http://unityspelltemple.webs.com .

    ReplyDelete
  5. My ex-boyfriend is back after he left me for another girl.
    I'm so excited my broken Marriage has been restored & my boyfriend is back after he left me for another girl.
    I needed him back desperately because i loved him so much.
    I became very worried and needed help. as i was browsing through the internet,
    I came across a website that suggested that Dr.Unity can help get ex back fast and stop a divorce or breakup and so on , So I felt I should give him a try.
    I contacted him and he told me what to do and i did it, then he did a (return Love spell) for me. 28 hours later,
    my boyfriend came back to me crying and begging for my forgiveness.
    Today I'm so happy and i am recommend this great spell caster to anyone that truly needs an urgent solution to his or her broken relationships and marriage. Simply contact the great "Dr.Unity"
    If you have any problem contact him and i guarantee you that he will help you., email him at: Unityspelltemple@gmail.com ,
    you can also call him or add him on Whats-app: +2348071622464 , you can also visit his website:http://unityspelltemple.webs.com .

    ReplyDelete